24th March 2017

Yesterday was a hard act to follow…. but today was nevertheless another busy, useful and enjoyable day. We based ourselves at the hospital all day.

Initially we had an honorary team member, a lovely Australian photographer working with love mercy, a charity that provides micro-loans and seeds for Ugandan women. She went off to the maternity unit to get some professional shots for PAL. & quite spontaneously Gudrun and Frankie started singing with a baby at which point every mother wanted to be photographed…. I’m sure some will follow. Frankie then nestled down in theatre – a little quiet due to absent power ( that’s the hospital, not Frankie!), and taught on neonatal resuscitation using her portable projector.
Judy went off and checked in on the lab where there are some delighted lab technicians now they have a digital eyepiece for their microscope she installed yesterday. This little addition means they can now send cytology slides down to Kampala for cytology diagnosis. As the images is displayed on a large computer screen it will be such a good tool for teaching and building up image libraries for microbiology and cytology.
Paul met up with Principal Hospital Administrator, Michael Odur to book rooms for the afternoon’s intern teaching. Then he went off to the Physiotherapy Department to spend time with Peter Rubauga, the only qualified physiotherapist, and his team of nurses. He was treating a nurse with occupational back pain (where have we seen that before?) and said it was the commonest reason for referral. They look after stroke rehabilitation, cerebral palsy children, paraplegias from TB spine and a host of other conditions bot in OPD and the ward. He needs 4 more trained physics and said that one was on her way. Paul then joined the ward round on Female Medical lead by Dr Rogers, an intern, and several medical students. 4 cases of cryptococcal meningitis, one miliary TB, 2 strokes (untreated herpertension) and the rest.
The bilateral facial palsies stimulated much cranial nerve discussion over lunch. Following which we did a station rotation for the interns. Frankie embarked on her safety check list followed by neonatal resuscitation; Judy did advanced suturing techniques aided by vinyl from the market and an ever dwindling supply of sutures, and Paul taught cranial nerve examination, medicine and general discussions about post graduate opportunities. The session ended as thunder rolled and a deluge battered the hospital just as we ran for Arnold’s van.
Then followed a lovely evening at Path, with a buffet and general gathering of our local friends.

Latest News